Tom Yum Gai, Tom Yum Kung, or Tom Yum Koong in other variations, is one of the most loved soups in the world. Originally, from Thailand, this soup has taken the world by storm. It is not just prepared in Thai cuisines, but is also served in many restaurants worldwide.
Tom Yung Gai has been named as the “national soup” back in the 18th century in Thonburi. This was hailed as such after this “miraculous” soup healed a dying princess. From then on, the soup was highly popularized.
Of course, we humans naturally look for appetizing meals. If your taste buds are craving for something Thai, then we’ll provide you with the Tom Yung Gai recipe. A lot of misconception about this dish is that it’s not easy to prepare. This is not at all true. The total preparation and cooking time for this dish doesn’t take 30 minutes.
Here’s the Tom Yum Gai recipe:
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 10 de-shelled prawns
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 piece of galangal
- 3 fresh minced red chilies
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp. of fish sauce
- 1 tsp. of brown sugar
- 1 cup of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 3 pcs, of sliced spring onions
- In a heated pot, pour the 6 cups of chicken stock and allow to boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add the de-shelled prawns. Wait for the prawns to turn orange, as this is the indicator that it is cooked.
- Add the kaffir leaves, the minced chillies and lemongrass. Allow to boil for another 6 minutes.
- Adjust the heat to medium, and add the galangal, fish sauce and coconut milk.
- Allow mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and allow to simmer for 3 minutes.
- For you to balance the taste, start by adding a teaspoon of fish sauce at a time.
- Feel free to add sugar if you feel that the soup is too sour.
- On a medium sized bowl, pour a serving of Tom Yum Gai and garnish with onions, basil and coriander.
- Serve hot.
- Makes 3-5 serving.
The Tom Yum Gai recipe is one of the most sought after recipes in the globe. Now that you already know how to make the delicious Tom Yum Gai, you can now enjoy one of the best Thai dishes in the world. Not only that, you can readily show your authentic cooking skills to your family and friends.
ขอให้เจริญอาหาร! Which means Bon Appetit in Thai.